Use signposted visitor moorings wherever possible, and always moor to the towpath if you can. Check that you’re not a hazard to other boats or to people using the canal or river. Leave room for other boats to tie up too. Use authorised sites on rivers. Many riverbanks and the non-towpath side of canals are private property.
- In locks, lock approaches or in lock flights
- Near swing or lift bridges
- Near weirs
- Near sharp bends
- By blind spots on the river
- In or opposite turning points
- At junctions
- On a tidal river – you might find yourself hanging from the ropes when the tide goes out!
- Private moorings or where signs say no mooring